Friday, January 4, 2019

linux - No-name i.onik android tablet not recognized by adb -- adb devices empty


I have followed various instructions and finally was able to connect my ZTE Blade to my Ubuntu laptop for USB debugging. The same setup does not work when I exchange the phone by my "no-name" i.onik TP10.1-1500DC tablet.


I have tried different cables and different USB ports. Do I need a special type of cable to connect a tablet for USB debugging?


This is what I get from a root shell:


~# adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

~#

(I know that it should be possible to run adb as non-root, but this test was to rule out permission errors.)


The lsusb output is special for this device, no textual description is shown. The first entry below is from another device, the second entry from the tablet. I have verified this by running lsusb with and without the tablet attached:


Bus 002 Device 005: ID 10d5:5000 Uni Class Technology Co., Ltd 
Bus 002 Device 009: ID 2207:0010


Of course, USB debugging is enabled in the tablet's settings, and I have already rebooted it.


Any further hints?



Answer



Izzy’s answer is misleading. Two unrelated things were mixed up (the vendor ID list in adb on one side and the permission setup in Linux on the other side).


1) devices considered by adb:


Adb has a hard-coded list of USB vendor IDs it tries. E.g. HTC mobile phones use 0xbb4, which is listed (source file usb_vendors.c), while 0x2207 is not.


The only way to add to this list (without patching the source) is to put vendor IDs in the file $HOME/.android/adb_usb.ini, line by line. (HOME is set up right?)


No special cable is needed.


2) permission setup for non-root access:


The udev-fiddling is to give user-access to e.g. /dev/bus/usb/002/009 (bus number/device number change; see lsusb for current values).



The details of this are not relevant to the original poster’s question, as he ran adb as root.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...