Wednesday, August 1, 2018

after a routine reboot, Google Play Services disappeared on stock 5.0.2 Moto E 2015


Been loving my 2nd-gen Moto E for the last month or 2. Rebooted it last night and when it came back Google Play Services was missing, i.e., no longer listed under Apps, no way to clear cache for it, no way to open Hangouts, Play Store, Gmail, Contacts, etc. Google account no longer listed under accounts, and can't add a new one.


For the record, I've only installed things from the Google Play Store and almost exclusively use Google apps (plus a few other big name things: Pandora, Vine, Dictionary.com, LastPass, Out of Milk, VLC, Power Toggles, Smart Launcher Pro).


Nothing changed between the last couple reboots. (Rant: This is the kind of bull that makes me hesitate to recommend Android phones to my non-techie Apple-prone friends and family.) I know I could do a factory reset, but given I've done nothing unusual, that's going to destroy my confidence in this phone.


Anyone seen anything similar? Where can I start?


EDIT: I just went ahead and did a factory reset. All was well for a couple weeks or so. Then one day this happened: Gmail, Inbox, Messaging, Messenger work until try to open conversation -- crash




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...