Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Why does "Google Services" take up increasing RAM and spawn new services over time?


I have a rooted OG Droid which I install custom ROMs to frequently. I've noticed in all builds of Froyo and Gingerbread that I've tried, over time of being on, certain services will take up more RAM and spawn new processes.


Specifically I've noticed that Google Services does this consistently. Initially it'll take maybe 7MB of RAM and only have 1 process (com.google.process.gapps). But after a good 10+ hours it'll spawn Android Core Apps (android.process.acore) and Calendar Storage (com.android.providers.calendar). Currently it's sitting at 21MB of usage.


This memory is never reclaimed and the phone will bog down as the internal Android task killer has to kill tasks more frequently. I eventually have to reboot.



Why does this happen and can I fix it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...