Monday, August 27, 2018

internal storage - How can I deal with "Low on Space" messages on my Android?


I keep getting the "Low on Space: Application data space is low. To free up" [the rest is cut off] message.


I've moved every app I can over to the SD card, cleared the cache, compacted my K9 mail cache.


Advanced Task Killer (ouch!) says I have 98M Available Memory


File Manager says I have 223M/748M (29%) free.


That's not so bad -- but I'm stuck in the no-updates scenario. The market downloads won't really start, gmail won't update, etc. I've rebooted several times, and nothing changes. Aaaargh.


What can be done, other than uninstalling everything ?



Answer




This timely post from Lifehacker may help... Were you the one who emailed them? ;)


What Should I Do When My Android Runs Out of App Space?


Here's the summary, in order of easy to hard:




  1. Move Bigger Apps to SD Storage - currently requires Froyo (2.2). Navigate to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications (or something similar). View the All Tab, sort by size. You can't do anything about the big hitters, namely Gmail, Browser and Maps will always be pretty big.




  2. Clear the Cache, and Maybe Data, on Some Apps Similar to #1, navigate to Settings > Applications.





  3. Clear Out Apps You Don't Actually Use Shouldn't this be #1? ;)




  4. Android 2.2: Set Your SD Card as the Default Installation Location LifeHacker points to the Androinica blog how-to here.




  5. Root Your Phone and Set Up Apps2SD Disclaimer: rooting may not be fun for non-geeks. LifeHacker how-to-root and custom firmware CyanogenMOD (also supplied by LifeHacker).





Of course some of the comments on the post are helpful as well. Hope it helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...