Thursday, August 16, 2018

gmail - Google Apps crashing, Play services crashing


On my Kyocera Hydra phone (model number c6725) running Android 4.4.2 on Virgin Mobile. When I start Gmail (although notifications from gmail work) I'll get the message "Unfortuantely, Gmail has stopped". If I click "report" I then get the message "Unfortuantely, Google Play services has stopped" with only an "OK" option.


When this first happened, I cleared the cache and data for both Gmail and Play services and I was able to open Gmail again, but now that doesn't seem to work. Worse, I noticed the problem also happens with the YouTube app, Play Music and Play Games.


Any idea what the root cause might be and how to fix it?


Edit: This seems to be getting worse and has now started effecting maps making it crash when I try to do turn-by-turn directions. This moves it from annoyance to a real problem. It seems if I uninstall updates to everything Google related (play services, gmail, play music, play games, play whatever) and go back to factory versions it'll work for a while (until it forces it's updates back on and starts acting up again).


Update: According to this on Android Forums, Kyocera are now testing a long overdue fix. Tweet them and you might be able to get it for testing. For my phone, maps has completely stopped working altogether now and I had to install an alternative mapping app (I'm trying out Here Maps right now). Gmail is only not broken by virtue of an update needing more permissions, so it's blocked from updating for the time being (and still works).



Answer



Ryan Radford found a fix for this. Kyocera forgot to include libpredtm.so in system/lib, which causes these crashes. Ryan took the time to upload his copy and another user posted his fix on Android Forums. You need to root your phone then add Ryan's libpredtm.so to system/lib. That's it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...