Monday, January 29, 2018

Phantom device showing on Google Play


I was going to install an app to my device from Google Play on my desktop, when I noticed a "No carrier Samsung GT-N7000" in my device list:


Samsung GT-N7000?


(the Nexus 7 is mine)


Apparently this device is the original Galaxy Note[1]. I've never even seen one of these devices, and there shouldn't be one registered on my account. It doesn't show on Android Device Manager.


Is someone else on my Play Store account, downloading apps/media on my credit card? I use 2FA, so I'm worried about how that could have happened. Is there anything I can do to find out more about this device?



Answer



If you're sure that you never login to any Android physical devices recently, then there's a possibility that you're using Android emulator with Google Play services (e.g. BlueStacks), and login your Google account on it.


Based from observation (this question, self-testing, and another source), BlueStacks tends to emulate Samsung devices. As explained by jpr on AndroidCentral forum,




Well, BlueStacks has to show as some type of device if you connect to Google Play to download apps, or you wouldn't be able to download apps from it. Which device it shows as can vary. It historically has been some type of Samsung device, usually a Galaxy, and usually is a T-Mobile version, but of course they could have randomized the carrier now or switched to AT&T to avoid easy detection.



(minor copyedited)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...