Saturday, January 6, 2018

4.4 kitkat - Workaround for Android 4.4 not being able to write to SD cards?



Yesterday I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 KitKat and had the bad surprise that it cannot write to my SD card anymore... I know this problem is widely documented everywhere, but has any workaround been found for it yet? (Other than removing the card physically from the phone and opening it on my PC) Also, because of the KNOX flag I can't downgrade to 4.3...


(PS: Rooted or not, it makes no difference)



Answer



Found an answer to my own question! Might as well share how I did it (DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, it worked fine for me). Needs root obviously.



  1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions

  2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.

  3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...

  4. Save the changes to the file.

  5. Restart.



Credits go to mateenf from the XDA-developers forum


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...