Tuesday, January 9, 2018

crashes - Android device crash logs?


I've been having issues* with my Samsung Galaxy S4 (Rooted, Echoe rom, SCH-i545, 4.4.2) lately and have been trying to figure out why. Problem is, it seems like neither alogcat nor adb can show, that I can see, device crashes - that is to say where the entire device shuts off on its own. Plus the /data folder didn't seem to have any type of panic or kernelpanic folder (Using Root Explorer).


Is there any way I can do this? Ideally finding previous logs, but if need be I think I can recreate the problem with whatever I need installed.


*The crash seems to be caused when I switch from 4g (LTE) to Wifi naturally, such as coming home and my phone automatically connecting to my (Already known) wifi.



Answer



If nothing can be retrieved from logcat you are probably running into a kernel panic.



You could check via adb the output of: dmesg


Some devices also have a kernel feature where, on critical errors, the last received kernel message can be read from /proc/last_kmsg


Maybe this will give you some hints whats going wrong. If not you could stream the full kernel logs via: cat /proc/kmsg and reproduce the shutdown while doing this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...