Monday, January 29, 2018

clockworkmod recovery - ROMManager does not backup my sd-ext


I am using rooted LG P500 running stock 2.3.3. Recently I partitioned my SD card using ROMManager in to three partitions (swap, ext and usb storage). I checked with Mini Partition Tool and understood that the sd-ext type is ext3. Link2SD created mount script and linked apps perfectly, releasing loads of space in memory.


To try an unofficial CM10 ROM, I backed up using ROMManager (NAndroid) and installed the unofficial CM10 ROM. While using CM10, I wiped sd-ext partition and linked few apps with belief that backup is done. Since I was unhappy with the CM10 ROM I decided to restore the backup and while doing so only I observed that my sd-ext partition contents were not backed up.


Thinking that I might not have backed up properly, I tried again to back up in restored backup of stock 2.3.3 and observed a message:



"Could not mount sd-ext. sd-ext backup may not be supported on this device. Skipping backup of sd-ext"




Had if I had noticed this message, I would not have installed the CM10 ROM at all.


Question: How can I make ROMManager to backup sd-ext partitions as well? I guess just because it was unable to mount, it just skipped sd-ext backup. When Link2SD was able to mount, what is stopping ROMManager to mount it and how can I fix it?


Info:



  1. I tried this with ClockworkMod Recovery version 5.0.2.7 and ROMManager version is 5.0.2.1

  2. I have seen the question "Ext4 partition clockworkmod recovery backup" and this question differs because the partition used is ext3 and was created by ROMMananger itself.


Update:





  1. I have seen this modaco forum thread and it just only helped me to come to a assumption that my present recovery version 5.0.2.7 does not support it. I will be glad to confirm it either from any authoritative source or burst the myth if some other user successfully backed up (either with 5.0.2.7) sd-ext.




  2. When I attempted to use "mount and storage -> mount /sd-ext" option in CWM recovery console, I just get "Error mounting /sd-ext!" message.





Answer



My suspicion that ROM Manager doesn't support sd-ext backup is quite confirmed with my experience. While looking for alternatives, I understood that there are these three recoveries available:




  1. Clockwork Mod recovery (CWM)

  2. Amon Ra recovery

  3. TeamWin recovery (TWRP)


I tried the TWRP 2.2.2.1 from its XDA thread and I am glad to inform that it did back up my ext3 partition. Other than this benefit, I have a touch interface which is much easier in par with CMW's user interface.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...