Monday, August 19, 2019

google play store - How to solve "insufficent space on the device" error on Samsung Captivate


I have a Samsung Captivate, running the stock Froyo ROM, rooted. When I try to install a large app from the Market, I get the error "insufficent space on the device", for apps of ~40 MB, with 700+MB free. I first noticed it with "Jelly Defense" on Google's Christmas-week sale, but you can see it for yourself if you try the free "Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth" which is also quite large.


This is a common problem -- just Google it and you'll see dozens of posts around the Internet going back almost a year. From those posts, I've tried two free apps that are supposed to help, "Market Fix" and "Cache Fixer", but neither has done the trick yet. As I understand it, both are supposed to re-mount /cache as a loopback file on the SD card. I don't know why they don't work. If anybody has fixed this specifically on the i9000 series (SGS1, Captivate, Fascinate, etc), please let me know how!



Answer




Always the way, innit? 5 minutes after I ask, I stumble across this. It's not super elegant but its success is in its simplicity. Simply replace the dedicated /cache partition with a link to the internal SD card, and Bob's your uncle. Has to be repeated on reboot, so not perfect, but way better than not installing at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...