Friday, August 9, 2019

4.4 kitkat - Does Android swap out memory used by foreground services?


Looking at an Android KitKat device made by LG, I see that an app called Software Update is always running as a foreground service (100). That service occupies a significant amount of memory.


From what I can tell, that app is just for OTA updates, which is an exceptionally rare event (has never happened so far!).


In order to free up some working memory, I was thinking about preventing the app from starting on bootup (by disabling its Broadcast Receiver), and then just running it manually once in a while to check for updates.


But before I do that, I want to ask if it matters at all? For apps that are always running a foreground service, will Android simply swap them out of memory like a background app? Or is the memory they use blocked off completely at all times, thereby making my plan worthwhile?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...