Tuesday, September 18, 2018

applications - Rootless CLI Utilities


Do I have to root my android device to install command line utilities? I would really like to run Vim, among other programs on my phone. I have no reason not to root my phone, I just want to know if this is possible.


The Android Scripting seems to possibly have done this. Do I have to write my own Terminal app to be able to do this?




Answer



You don't need root. You also don't need a terminal, for an app to use its own private utilities. But if you want vim, Terminal IDE provides that, a number of other utilities (git, ssh, tmux), the ability to use bash or Java as a 'scripting language' at the terminal, and the ability to create and install Android apps on-device. I use Terminal IDE and vim quite a bit, (but with Better Terminal Emulator Pro's terminal, actually.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...