Wednesday, December 6, 2017

rooting - I've installed a custom recovery image, but not yet rooted my phone. How can I install SuperSU and subscribe to automatic updates?


I own a Samsung smartphone. I'm running Android 4.1.2 "Jelly Bean". I've also installed ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.5.


Each time I exit ClockworkMod Recovery, it offers to root my phone. I haven't accepted this offer yet.


Binaries are not yet available for the currently-maintained fork of Superuser. So I guess I'll install SuperSU instead.


OK; fine. So I want to install SuperSU. I also want to start getting automatic updates — in other words, as new versions of SuperSU are released, I want the Google Play store app to install them automatically.



Please note that I would rather not boot Android up even once with su installed but with no su GUI installed. Doing such a thing would be a security risk which I'd rather avoid if possible.


What steps should I take, and in what order?



Answer



Follow these steps:



  1. Download the flashable ZIP for SuperSU app into your device. It would have both the APK as well as su binary. Choose the stable build .

  2. Boot into the custom Recovery → flash the ZIP → Reboot.

  3. After the boot animation you would see "Android is upgrading" dialog for few seconds. Once booted to Home screen, launch SuperSU app.


  4. Go to Settings and scroll down until you see CLEANUP section.



    IMG:




  5. Choose Reinstall. It would remove SuperSU app from the system but not the su binary.



  6. Go to Play Store and install SuperSU app. Since the app is now installed from Play Store, you would definitely receive updates to the app as long as they are pushed to Play Store and are compatible with your device.


Done!


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...