Friday, December 8, 2017

How to get mDNS working for Chrome on Android?


Is there a way to connect to http://mylaptop.local/ using Chrome on Android, or is there another browser that works?


I travel from network to network with my laptop and my phone and I often have to connect my phone to a website on my laptop. With Safari on an iPhone I can simply use http://mylaptop.local/ (usually hitting reload on an open browser window), but with my Android device I always have to figure out the current IP of my laptop punch it in by hand and connect to it (I don't control many of the networks I'm on and they don't seem to ever have DNS integrated with DHCP).


I've searched a for an answer and it seems most people simply hack around the issues using static DNS, or they control DHCP and DNS, neither of which apply for my situation. Also I see code libraries for supporting mDNS (and other zeroconf stuff) in a specific Android application, so perhaps there's a Chrome add on out there, or some other browser that supports it?


Also, is there any official word on device wide support for mDNS and the .local domain on Android? I had trouble finding that as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...