Monday, December 25, 2017

sim unlocking - Will resetting my unlocked phone to factory settings lock it again?


I have an unlocked G1 that is freaking out on me in various ways. If I "restore factory settings" am I going to wind up locking it?



Answer



Normally unlocked phones are unlocked for good. I wouldn't expect a factory reset to change it. (See also: Unlocked Galaxy i7500, Reset Will Remove it?)


It's not 100% certain, though. For example, some Galaxy S users had their phones re-locked when updating from 2.1 to 2.2, which is a somewhat similar process to doing a factory reset.


You could always do a backup through ClockworkMod or something (and back it up to your computer first) in case it does get re-locked, so that you could restore it to the previous unlocked state. That requires root, however. (Root can sometimes be undone by a factory reset, but not if you have a custom ROM that came pre-rooted).


If you have the unlock code from when you originally unlocked it, that code should still work to unlock it again if it gets re-locked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...