Thursday, October 6, 2016

rooting - adb can find device but fastboot cannot


Context


I can run adb commands on my Nexus 4 and they work fine but when my device is in the bootloader and I try to list the device with,


fastboot devices

my device is not listed. I was having problems with adb on my Windows 7 VM due to driver issues, so I switched to OSX because it does not require any drivers.


I think I may have corrupted my bootloader and recovery in my previous attempts to root my phone with a toolkit(I know I should have done it manually).


Question



Is it possible to reinstall my bootloader or a recovery using just adb i.e. without using fastboot?



Answer



The problem with my device not showing up with the fastboot devices command resolved itself. I was then able to flash a custom recovery.


The only thing I did different was, I rebooted my computer and symlinked the adb and fastboot commands in my bin folder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...