Wednesday, October 12, 2016

reboot - Optimizing Apps: Why?


I have a Kyocera Hydro View. Every time I restart my phone, it tells me that Android is optimizing apps. This takes anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, and sometimes prevents me from using the phone when I need to use it.


What is Android doing, and why does it need to do it so often?



Answer



This is something in Android that is called the dalvik-cache. It's basically an optimized version of the android package you usually install/download on your phone. This is usually done while installation and doesn't need to happen at every boot. However, in your case, reboots apparently trigger a dalvik-cache dump(for lack of a better word). So, Android has to optimize all apps all over again. I'd suggest you to try and diagnose why your phone is clearing it's dalvik-cache at every boot. Are you running a custom ROM?



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...