Saturday, October 1, 2016

cyanogenmod - Galaxy S GT-I9000: how to fix boot to recovery with Volume up+Power?



I have Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) and I've installed Cyanogenmod 10 M2. I can reboot into recovery from Cyanogenmod (Hold Power button, select Reboot and Recovery). However, I cannot boot directly to recovery holding Volume up + Power or Volume up + Home + Power when the phone is powered down.


Do I need to do something to the phone hardware to get some button combination to boot to recovery mode? As far as I know, the button combination I've tried is the correct one for this device. I can boot to download mode with Volume down + Power.


The recovery is the one installed along the official galaxysmtd Cyanogenmod 10 M2 ("CWM-based Recovery v6.0.1.4").


I would want to fix the issue because now I'm afraid to flash ROM updates because getting into recovery in case of boot loop is much harder if I cannot get the normal key combo to work.



Answer



OK. I found the correct combination. It seems that the recovery distributed with Cyanogenmod 10 M2 for galaxysmtd is really picky about the hardware buttons.


Here's how you can boot to recovery:



  1. Start with Galaxy S powered off

  2. Press and hold Volume up + Home


  3. Press and hold Power button

  4. Wait for (factory default) Galaxy S GT-I9000 boot display to show up

  5. Release the Power button before the second boot display with text "Cyanogen(mod)" shows up. Keep holding the Volume up + Home buttons.

  6. Wait for Recovery to start. After you see the recovery menu, you can release the Volume up and Home buttons.


If you fail to release the power button before the second boot display, you cannot get it to go into the recovery mode. Instead it will enter the normal boot sequence which seems to fail if you keep holding the Power button. On the other hand, if you don't keep buttons pressed long enough, it will enter the normal boot sequence, again. I haven't figured out if holding the Home button is really required but at least it does not prevent entering the recovery mode.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...