Monday, October 10, 2016

permissions - Why does an app read my phone's IMEI number? An awful lot of them do


What reasons should an app have to need my phone's International Mobile Equipment Identity number? I noticed that unreasonably many of ordinary apps have the "phone state and identity" permission. For example, Remember the Milk. What do they ask it for? Am I insufficiently paranoid?



Answer



Many apps use the IMEI for analytics purposes, for example counting users. Most tools like Google Analytics or Flurry need a unique ID per phone, so the IMEI fits quite well.



Note that this doesn't work on non-cellular platforms (like tablets), and the IMEI can also be faked: this is why some apps choose a different system (see this article).


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...