Tuesday, October 25, 2016

internal sd - How do I refresh/rescan the SD memory in Android 4.4 KitKat


I received the official OTA KitKat update for my Nexus 4 last week and since then I have been unable to rescan the SD card. I have tried a number of different apps for this task but all of them crash when being opened. A bit of research shows a handful of users with the same issue.


These are the apps I've tried:




  • Rescan Media (Aditya Talpade)

  • Rescan SD Card! (sTOOPIDfiG)

  • Rescan SD Media Card (RADEFFFACTORY)

  • SDrescan (Benjamin Rosseaux) my old standby on Jelly Bean


Each app crashes when launched. Is anyone able to refresh their SD memory on KitKat?



Answer



It won't work to detect deleted files, but I just put an app up on the Play Store that will work on new and updated files: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.jerickson314.sdscanner


It uses a workaround inspired by Dan Hulme's answer: by using the API that is only for a specific file, but manually generating a recursive list of files on the card. This requires only the read permission on the SD card, not root, and has the nice side effect of allowing a reliable progress indicator.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...