Sunday, August 7, 2016

installation - How do I install CyanogenMod on the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 Wi-Fi?


I put off buying a tablet or smartphone, because they seem like a kind of toy (not bad per se) and a way for big companies to use you. Even a laptop is not always practical though, and modern tablets are pretty powerful. After I found out that there are quality builds like CyanogenMod (CM) that can give you control over the device, I selected the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 Wi-Fi for its CM support, good reviews and current low price.


Unfortunately, I found out after the fact that the install instructions at the CyanogenMod (CM) wiki don't work: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_picassowifi


This is according to CM users:


forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/102253-help-flashing-using-heimdall/ http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/109417-newbie-question/


In the second link, "the recommended method on the wiki for installing a custom recovery (via Heimdall) indeed does not work on the tab pro 10."


After many hours of research, preparation and finally success, I provide my own answer below in the form of a detailed, step-by-step How-To, because the information was scattered. Hopefully this can save someone time, or encourage someone to try it out. It's totally worth it.



I hope that some experienced users will vet my answer to correct any misconceptions and add helpful details and explanations.


NB: I currently don't have enough reputation to post more than two links.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...