Monday, August 22, 2016

Where on the file system are SMS messages stored?


Where in the file system are SMS messages stored?


I'm using ES File Explorer to browse around but can't seem to find this - is it on the phone or the SD, and where?


I have an HTC Wildfire but I would imagine it doesn't vary hugely from vendor to vendor (although I am an iOS developer who knows little about Android).



Answer



See here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4809874/how-to-access-the-sms-storage-on-android


The gist is that SMS/MMS are residing in databases on the phone and the answer to the question contains the link to this tutorial.


The location of the database might vary from phone to phone, but you can look it up with this command via adb (you need to be root to find it because it's in the protected storage area):


find / -name "*mmssms*"


On my device (Samsung Galaxy S) these databases turned up:


./dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.telephony/mmssms.db
./data/data/com.jb.gosms/databases/gommssms.db

The first one being the native db and the second one is by the sms app I'm using.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...