Monday, August 29, 2016

htc wildfire - Is some of my internal memory missing?


I have an HTC Wildfire (the original, not the S version). It is supposed to have 512MB of memory. When I check my free space in the app manager I noticed I have around 185MB. Why is this?


I am using CyanogenMod which is around 80MB, if this wasn't accounted for there is still a lot of space missing. Why is my phone reporting so little?



Answer



ok. here is the thing. The space is there, the problem is that it is not accesible for applications.


Android systems have several partitions as explained here. Doing an df on my device I get:


Filesystem              Size      Used      Available Use%    Mounted on
tmpfs 156.5M 32.0K 156.4M 0% /dev
tmpfs 156.5M 0 156.5M 0% /mnt/asec

tmpfs 156.5M 0 156.5M 0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/mtdblock3 250.0M 119.0M 131.0M 48% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock5 175.1M 157.2M 18.0M 90% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4 40.0M 1.3M 38.7M 3% /cache
/dev/block/vold/179:1 3.7G 2.8G 952.5M 75% /mnt/sdcard

the space I see in the app manager is the same allocated for /data, the rest of the space is used for the cache and the android system (in the /system and /cache partitions).


A solution would be to find out how to resize the partitions in the internal memory of the phone (there is a procedure here). Another solution (which seems easier) is to put they regularly used apps in the /system partition along with the default applications so that all memory is used (root is needed)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...