Monday, October 26, 2015

nexus one - Can I symlink /data?


I have a rooted Google/HTC Nexus One running Android 4.0, Cyanogenmod, and MIUI. These mods were done by the previous owner.


Considering that the amount of internal storage my phone has is really tiny, I'm always looking for ways to free up space. My current idea is to symlink either all or part of /data to somewhere on the SD card where I have lots of free space.


My question is, would this cause any problems? I've got a lot of Linux experience, but I'm an Android newbie. The filesystem seems to be a bit different from what I'm used to in the Linux world.


Also, are there any pitfalls I should be aware of, such as certain data that must be available before the SD card is mounted?



Answer



Use data2sd instead of creating the symlink manually from the terminal. Usually sd cards are formatted with FAT32, data2sd creates an EXT2 embedded partition instead...


more detailed explanation here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...