Saturday, October 31, 2015

contacts - How do I edit/add a birthday in the `people` app Cyanogenmod 11?


I have Cyanogenmod 11 M8.


I keep my contacts on the phone, not sharing them in the cloud, I prefer to run only AOSP software and FOSS applications from F-Droid.


Somehow I can't add/edit birthdays in the people app. Shouldn't this be a basic feature for a people application .


I know they are somewhere because the birthday adapter shows the imported birthdays from my VCF file in the calendar.


So how do I add a birthday?



Answer



On Cyanogenmod People, to see and edit the Events field (birthdays and anniversaries only available in this case), the People contact has to be in an Account, not on the phone only. I also do not use a cloud service for my own privacy reasons so I use MyPhoneExplorer app for PC synchronization and the associated but seperate MyLocalAccount app for Contacts storage, both on Play Store. If you decide to use MyPhoneExplorer/MyLocalAccount be sure to synchronize contacts into MyLocalAccount. When I realized this solution and installed MyLocalAccount (I had already been using MyPhoneExplorer) the older existing contacts did not synchronize with MyLocalAccount and I still had no Events field. I had to mass delete all contacts on the phone (easy with MyPhoneExplorer) and re-synchronize with MyLocalAccount. BTW, I use Outlook on my PC. Problem solved. Yes Android can be quirky but that's why we use it, right?!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...