Tuesday, October 13, 2015

How do you create a folder on a home screen in Honeycomb 3.0.1 (Xoom)?



I was rather shocked to learn that my Xoom tablet, running Honeycomb (3.0.1) does not support the ability to group home screen shortcuts into folders. Nor does it seem to provide a stock widget that could be used for organizing shortcuts.


Coming from a Froyo (DroidX) phone and iPad, both of which have long supported folder functionality, this is a huge surprise and my only big disappointment with Honeycomb.


I have found 3rd party apps that can help this (Folder Organizer), but this App is overly complex for the given task. If anyone can recommend an app that does nothing but simple iOS-like folder organization, that would be great. (I realize there are many alternative launcher/homescreen repplacements that support folders, but would rather not broaden the discussion that far for now).


I find it embarrassing to have to explain to iPad users that Honeycomb does not have anything like folder organization for apps built-in to the OS. Is this a design "feature" of Android? Does Google prefer another method for organizing home screen icons? Is it coming in a future release?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...