Friday, October 16, 2015

mount - How to find out if my Device's Kernel has Loop Device Support


I would assume most all of you know why I am asking this, but for those who don't, Loop Device Support of a Kernel on an Android device is utilized to mount a Linux Distro IMG file (Ubuntu or Debian, & a couple others) to run the linux img in a Chrooted environment to run side by side next to your Android System.


So there is tons of information on what Loop Device Support is (if you need a good explanation see Wikipedia's article.), and why you need it, but there is a great lack of explaination as to how you find out if your device supports it. The most information relating to it is that "most roms support it"...


So down to the issue, how would one discover if my device currently supports it? Is there some script I can look at or something in the kernel I can view to find out if my device supports it?



Answer



You can verify by checking /proc/config.gz and search through it looking for the configure option - CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y.


To do that you need to do it this way:


cp /proc/config.gz /sdcard/kernel_config.gz

and



adb pull /sdcard/kernel_config.gz

Unzip the kernel_config.gz and open it up in a notepad or text editor and search it.


If its either # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP is not set or CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n all bets are off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...