Monday, December 24, 2018

How can I remote support an Android tablet?


My mother is considering to get an Android tablet - probably a Nexus 7 or 10. Because I don't live near her, I might need to provide some remote assistance -- and you probably know that talking her through things on the phone is not very efficient, especially when I can't actually see what's on her screen.



I don't want to access the file system, read SMS messages, download photos, etc.
I just want to see what she sees so that I can talk her through whatever she needs help with.


Is there an Android equivalent of running a VNC server so that I can see the exact screen my mom is currently seeing? The "VNC server" apps I've seen in the Play Store are more like remote desktop apps and they all seem to require to launch an app from the device -- then you can see Android on your pc but not on the device which wouldn't help my mom.


Is it possible to do some kind of screen-sharing on Android, similar to a PC running VNC?


Could this work via a PC (Windows, Linux), or would I need another Android device, or perhaps even an identical Android tablet?



Answer



I attempted to get VNC options working, but they're all buggy. In particular the keyboard mappings and clunky and the screens never seem to render correctly. I even wrote to an author offering money for improvements but never got anything back.


Teamviewer 8 is the only solution I've found where it actually works the way it is supposed to (i.e. seamlessly). Teamviewer is free for personal use, which is a bonus, but it is by far and away the best solution I have found. It properly supports the Android home/nav keys and has complete and properly mapped support for keyboard input.


To use it, install Teamviewer 8 on your PC/Mac, and "Teamviewer Quicksupport" on your Android device. As far as I know, root is not required.


No, I don't work for Teamviewer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...