Sunday, November 2, 2014

recovery mode - How to check if your bootloader is unlocked


I'm about to flash a custom recovery, but I'm not sure if my bootloader is unlocked or not (phone is rooted, but I did it a while ago, so I can't remember the process I went with), and I don't want to do anything that might risk losing all my current data. Can I simply run fastboot flash recovery [recovery image], and if it doesn't work, take that to mean my bootloader is locked? Are there any negative consequences to attempting this with a locked bootloader?



Answer



After scouring the net, I've learned this can be determined by entering your device's fastboot mode (from your device's boot menu selection, select AP Fastboot) and about four or five lines down from the top, you should see either Device is LOCKED or Device is UNLOCKED.


Unfortunately I only discovered this after attempting to flash the custom recovery while my bootloader was locked, which would subsequently put it into fastboot mode upon every boot attempt with the message "Fastboot reason: Flash failure". But I got around this by entering boot selection mode (holding vol down, up, and power simultaneously) and selecting "Normal Powerup" at the top. I unlocked my bootloader, flashed again, and am now happily running CyanogenMod 11. Hope this helps someone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...