Monday, November 3, 2014

battery life - Which method of wireless tether uses the least amount of power? Bluetooth or Wifi?


If I'm going to wireless tehter to my Android phone what method drains the battery the least? Wifi or Bluetooth?



Answer



I decided to look up some data, and my guess seems to be correct: http://nesl.ee.ucla.edu/fw/documents/reports/2007/PowerAnalysis.pdf


According to the report, Bluetooth takes the least amount of energy.


However your 3G radio will probably take the most energy; maintaining a 3G connection without transferring any data is cheap, but once you start sending/receiving data, then it trumps even Wi-fi.



WiFi radios have a high wakeup and connection maintenance energy, but low energy per bit transmission cost and high bandwidth.



Cellular radios have low connection maintenance energy, but high energy per bit transmission cost and low bandwidth.



Disclaimer: The study might only apply for the particular model that the device they use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...