Monday, November 24, 2014

geolocation - GPS when roaming with no data


What kind of GPS functionality should I expect on a roaming Android device that has mobile data disabled when I am abroad?


I have just found myself a bit stuck with Google Offline Maps because my rooted Galaxy Note 3 running Resurrection Remix would only get a correct GPS fix once mobile data roaming was turned on - before turning on mobile data, the phone thought it was at its previous good location. Once mobile data was turned on, the phone got a new GPS fix very quickly despite being in a heavily built-up area. Turning off mobile data would cause the GPS fix to be stuck at this new location.


As an example:



  1. come out of a Metro Station A, fix from previous good location

  2. turn on data, fix very quickly

  3. turn off data, fix sticks at location of Metro Station A


  4. go into Metro Station A, and travel to Metro Station B

  5. come out of Metro Station B, fix still shows location of Metro Station A


I have tried changing the settings on the GPS to tell it to only use the GPS satellites (and not wifi/cellular) but this didn't help.


Is this expected behaviour, a quirk of the Note 3 or Resurrection Remix, or something else?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...