Thursday, July 4, 2019

4.0 ice cream sandwich - Why can't the su binary simply be copied (techical response please)


I have rooted several Samsung devices and the underlying "goal" so to speak seems to be to get the su binary in /system/xbinand install Superuser.apk.



My question is why does one have to jump through all of these hoops to root the phone (install custom recovery and flash pre-rooted ROM or exploit the current installation)? Couldn't one just download a precompiled su, move it to the SD card, and run it via adb? The thing that seems to make a ROM "pre-rooted" is that it has Superuser and the su binary in their respective system paths. I don't see why it is so important that it is ran from /system/xbin.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...