Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Is there a way to run adb as host on android without root?


I have an android phone and an android tablet. Both not rooted. I want to use adb as host on the tablet and as client on the phone, using an USB-OTG adapter.


I downloaded connectbot as terminal emulator on the tablet. I also downloaded the ARM binary for adb onto the tablet. However I'm getting the following error when I try to execute the binary:


user@tablet:/storage/sdcard0/download $ ./adb-arm-binary.bin devices
/system/bin/sh: ./adb-arm-binary.bin: can't execute: Permission denied

Is there anyway to get ADB as a host to run on an android 4.4.2 tablet without root?


OR: Is there any way to root said tablet without a PC?


The whole reason I need this is because I need to access dumpsys logs from the phone but I do not have a PC or laptop. A way to get dumpsys logs directly on the phone without root would suffice too, but AFAIK dumpsys is impossible to access for non-system application.



Answer




Alright, I got it to work, here is what I did:



I was able to use kingroot to root the tablet.



I basically followed these instructions, however the files in the OP there are outdated and not downloadable anymore. So I used a file someone posted much later in that thread, this file seems outdated though, but I'm unsure about that and will open a new question about that.



  1. Downloaded the adb.bin file on the tablet (in /storage/sdcard0/Download)

  2. Downloaded Connectbot from f-droid and setup a local shell connection to the tablet

  3. Ran the following commands (everything after (including) the # is just a comment)



su # gain root priviledges
cd /storage/sdcard0/Download # change working directory to download folder
mount -o remount,rw /system # re-mount /system partition so we can write on it
cp adb.bin /system/bin/adb # copy it to bin folder so it's accessible as a command
chmod 755 /system/bin/adb # make it executable


  1. Rebooted tablet




This worked for me and got me an executable adb running. I still can't connect to my phone but since this is another issue I opened a new question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...