Monday, May 21, 2018

wi fi - Can my phone act as WiFi Access Point while Disabling Celluar Radio?


Can Android act as a WiFi Access Point while the cellular radio is turned off?


I tried to accomplish that using flight mode, but that won't work. While flight mode is enabled, Androids portable Wi-Fi hotspot option cannot be enabled. Quite logical, because one cannot tether while cellular networks are disabled.


To my knowledge, there is no obvious dedicated option to only disable cellular networks. There is an Cell Radio ShutOff, but that app just crashes when pressing the disable cellular network button on my phone.


Are there any apps for setting up a cellular less, non-tethering WiFi Access Point or other ways to do this?


What's that good for? What is it, what I am really accomplishing to do? See background below.




Background:


For recording interviews, I want to use a newer Android device [Galaxy S3] as a video camera (MirrorOp Sender app), while using an older device [iphone 4] as an external display (MirrorOp Receiver app). In some sense as a "wireless live preview" display.


The MirrorOp app has to my knowledge no WiFi Direct mode. Therefore I am using Androids portable Wi-Fi hotspot option, so the receiver can log into the WiFi AndroidAP (WiFi access point). Took me a while to figure out, but it works so far.



During recording, be not disturbed my cellar calls, voip calls, messenger or update notifications, I would like to disable the cellular network radio. That also seems useful to save battery.


Another reason for not providing internet access is to prevent the receiver phone from using use the WiFi as hotspot (which would in reality, be just a 3G network) to download bigger files, updates, etc.


I don't like blocking mode, because then caller think I pressed the "rejection" button, and because it also does not save battery.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...