Tuesday, May 15, 2018

motorola droid - How can I reduce latency while tethering?


When tethering with PDAnet (the free version), using a stock moto-Droid 1 on Verizon, I am getting between 1k-3k ms latency on World of Warcraft. I would like to know what is the likeliest culprit, and am wondering what steps (and how) I can take to reduce the latency.


Some ideas:



  • Change tethering app? (Note, I have a limited use and purchasing a $30 app for tethering isn't really an option)

  • Root/ROM and change from stock? (running 2.2.1: FRG83D)

  • Get a latency targeting app for my phone/laptop?



Answer




The likeliest culprit for your high latency is first and foremost the fact that you're using a wireless carrier's network, which are notorious for their high ping times. Switching from one carrier to another probably wouldn't solve your problem, and even if you went from a 3G contract to 4G you probably wouldn't see that much of an improvement, especially as more and more people start buying 4G capable devices.


Additionally trying to do something as data-intensive as play World of Warcraft over your cell carrier's network is never going to feel right. Games like that rely heavily on low response times and are best left for wired broadband connections.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...