Monday, May 21, 2018

battery life - Can I leave it plugged in for charge all the time? -Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801


In short my question is -
What is the battery level at which it starts charging again Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801 device when kept plugged in for charge all the time?



If you want to know background and why I ask this, read whole question below.


This question is based on below answer Do I have to charge my phone before I use it the first time?



Can I leave it plugged in all the time? Yes, and no. This is very dependent on whom makes your device. For example, my Lenovo laptop will not apply a charge to the battery unless it is under 97%. When it does charge the battery it charges directly to 100%, then stops until the battery sags below 97%. Many laptops did not do this, on most just applying charge if it is not 100%. This would put the battery through thousands of charge cycles in a week when you are not using the battery. This ages a battery quickly.


If your phone maker took the time and paid the extra cash then your phone will stop charging once it reaches full charge and just power the system from the wall outlet. It is significantly more likely that your phone is charging your battery on a short cycle and aging it thoroughly.



The answerer mentions that it depends on manufacturer. What's the answer for Android phone? Or if it depends on the Manufacturer what is the battery level at which it starts charging again Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801 device?


So this question is specific to the device - Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801.



Answer



I don't know about your specific device/battery but here is a rather detailed article on the battery in android phones and the app used in the article to log battery information is called CurrentWidget



If the article is representative of most smart phones, which I suspect it is, to maximize your battery life your phone does an initial charge to 100% and then maintains the battery at about 93%.


My takeaway is that it is good to leave your phone plugged in and charging when you can but it is not good to frequently plug and unplug your phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...