Wednesday, May 16, 2018

stock android - Why doesn't BOINC use the CPU power fully on my Huawei P9 lite?



I installed BOINC on my Huawei P9 lite.



  • model VNS-L31

  • build VNS-L31C432B414

  • Android 7.0 (stock)

  • CPU Kirin 650

  • RAM 3 GiB


I want the phone to run BOINC applications, when fully charged and connected to a wall outlet or PC. However it seems, that BOINC has no means to acquire all computing resources on that device. Antutu Benchmark shows no more than 68% CPU load and when inspecting the actual CPU load only four of the 8 cores are showing full CPU load the others exhibit half load and lower CPU clocking. Battery temperature doesn't exceed 29°C, which is fairly low. (I'm not living in Siberia)


Computing performance seems to be low, too, when compared to an old Samsung Galaxy S5 with lineageOS installed. I tried to find all settings concerning power usage and so on, but there are virtually none execept power saving mode and ultra power saving mode.



When I start the stress test of AnTuTu Benchmark, the battery temperature rises to 37°C, soon. All cores show nearly full load then.


Now what bugs me is:



  • Is the CPU usage for background processes limited by some means?

  • Is it possible that BOINC applications are so inefficiently programmed, that they can't acquire enough computing resources to create full CPU load?

  • Can this be circumvented by rooting the phone and/or installing third party apps / non-stock ROM?


Don't get me wrong, I don't want to wear down my phone intentionally (in fact, on my old phones I don't give a s*** on that). But I want to have control over what I do on my devices.


Update


Did a test run with CPU-Z. It clearly shows, that the overall CPU-load is just 30% while Boinc running in the background. So the device must be throttled somehow.



CPU-Z Test screen


** Update ** I added the thermal measurements from CPU-Z. [Thermal Data from CPU-Z[2]


It is rather obvious, that the temperatures can't be the cause for the throttled CPU. Anyone more clues why and how BOINC is kept from using the resources and how I can influence that behaviour?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...