Monday, May 29, 2017

imap - Firm Gmail, i.e. Google Apps -email, with K9 -email program?



I am struggling with this kind of Google Apps -site, example from Google.com -site here.


enter image description here




I use two email-clients in Android: default Gmail -client (because it is tied to my Gmail) and K9. I am able to set up all Gmails to K9 but one email i.e. the firm email from the site https://www.google.com/a/firm.com (excluding ofc the Android-tied-gmail -account, more here). It means that I am using K9 and default Gmail-Android -program but I would like to have all emails under K9. Is it possible and how can do it here in the case of the Gmails targeted to firms? I think such gmails are called something like Google App or something like that, not sure.


The firm Gmail is not accepted like this in K9:



Username: forname.surname


Password: correct


IMAP server: mail.myFirm.com


Security type: SSL (always)


Port: 993


Use compression on network: Mobile Wi-Fi Other




If I change the IMAP -server to mail.gmail.com, it gets accepted but it won't work correctly -- redirection problem. But now I am stucked why it does not accept the above settings?!


Perhaps useful to other like-minded





  1. All emails under K9 -app?




  2. Email-client with Sent emails from many emails under IMAP?





  3. Setting up IMAP over device-swarm that has a Debian Desktop -client, more here.






Answer



The default settings by K9 have at least two mistakes:






  1. use imap.gmail.com instead of mail.gmail.com.




  2. use full emails for usernames such as forname.surname@myFirm.com, not just forname.surname.





Example settings




Incoming Email settings



Username: forname.surname@myFirm.com


Password: correct


IMAP server: imap.gmail.com


Security type: SSL (always)


Port: 993


Use compression on network: Mobile Wi-Fi Other



Outgoing Email settings




Outgoing Server Name: smtp.gmail.com


Use Authentication: Yes


Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)


Outgoing Server Port: 465 or 587


Username: forname.surname@myFirm.com




Some useful information extracted from this blog here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...