Monday, May 8, 2017

privacy - Does an adblocker defeat the tracking part of the ad module, or just the display of ads?


Related, but different than, these two questions, I'd like to know if the usual ad blockers on Android do anything to prevent user tracking from ad modules. Those questions are several years old by now and things have changed substantially.


If I use Ad Block Plus (with no whitelist), AdAway, uBlock Origin within Firefox, or other popular ad blockers, do these do anything for the ad modules in the OS/APK from sending private data to the ad networks and/or app developer?


Presumably, a HOSTS based blocker would prevent at least some data exfiltration like this, but I'm not up to speed how the other blockers work.


If it matters, I'm currently using OctOS L, based on 5.1.



Tangentelly, on a desktop browser, there are tracking prevention tools like Disconnect, Ghostery, Privacy badger, and various cookie management mechanisms that I use in conjunction with an ad blocker.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...