Thursday, May 11, 2017

5.0 lollipop - Open a new tab in chrome from a shortcut or app



Since updating to Android 5.1.1 I started using the new tab switcher merged with recent apps, however, every time I click on chrome I have to wait for it to open the last tab only to open a new one anyways, and if I wanted the old tab I could have opened it from the recent apps.


I tried creating a bookmark to use about:blank, which works except I don't have access to any bookmarks or history as from the new tab page, but when trying to link directly to the new tab page I am unable to find a method which works.


Using "about:newtab" I am given a transparent overlay on my launcher which shows as Chrome in recent apps.
Using chrome://newtab or chrome-native://newtab I receive a toast from the launcher stating "App isn't installed.".


I thought about creating a simple app with no UI which simply opens chrome to a new tab, or using Xposed to change it to open in a new tab on click, but am unsure how to go about this.



Is there some file in system I could change to add Chrome as a handler for "chrome://" links?



What other method I could try in order to create a shortcut on my launcher to open a new tab for chrome?


More Info



  • Launchers Tested: Nova Launcher, Google Now Launcher

  • Chrome Versions: Chrome 45.0.2454.94, Chrome Beta 46.0.2490.34

  • Android Version: 5.1.1 LMY48M

  • Device: Nexus 5




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...