Wednesday, May 31, 2017

root access - Windows mount android file system


I want to edit some files on my phone but I can not access the root folder on my phone.


I'm using a rooted Google Nexus 5 running Android 5.0. I can read/write to my /, and /system by Android's ES file explorer but not Windows' software.


How can I mount the Android system file in Windows, so I can read/write to the same places from there? If that's not possible on Windows: I'm also use Ubuntu. So, Can I mount my phone under Ubuntu?




Answer



There's a second way, which should work with multiple operating systems on the computer's end: Taking a look at my list of file Android server apps, you can find some Android file-server apps using WebDAV or Samba, and SSH Clients & Server has some for SSH. Check those with "root capabilities", as you want to access the entire file system read/write.


Preparing your device for read/write access is done the same way as specified in my other answer. Then start the "server-app" you've selected, and you should be ready – not even a cable needed, as this works via WiFi:



  • Linux supports SSHFS, i.e. mounting the file system via SSH. There are also helpers to achieve this on Windows (listed there)

  • Samba is supported as "Samba" on Linux, and should be natively supported on Windows as "Windows Share"

  • WebDAV should also be supported by both systems


So with any of the three categories, you should be able to mount your Android's file system under Linux as well as Windows. Only possible "drawbacks" here are that you need an additional app on the Android device, and it might be a bit slower due to WiFi (the latter must not necessarily be the case, though).


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...