Saturday, May 20, 2017

audio - How do I use an external microphone with my Galaxy Nexus?


How do I use an external microphone on my Galaxy Nexus, and what kind do I need?


I know if it should use a jack plug (3.5 mm), but not all jack connectors are the same, and I don't know if the lower or middle or upper part is for the microphone.


I want to use my phone for a video conference, but there is going to be a lot of noise around me, so I need an external microphone without all the background noise which the microphone in the phone gives.


I don't think the Gnex can handle a USB mic through the micro USB port, correct me if I'm wrong.




Answer



Today i have made some progress in this question. On iPhone you can buy a iRig Mic which can do the job (and it should work on android too). But since i want to use another external microphone i have decided to make the adapter myself from some different adapters (which does the same thing as iRig Mic, but with a female 3.5 mm jack output, so i can use my wireless microphone with it)


I have ordered the parts from an online store in denmark, but you can get it all over the internet, you just need to know what you need :)


The first thing you need is a 3.5 mm male 4 pole conductor jack (TRRS) to RCA adapter. Like this one jack to RCA Then you need a RCA to either female jack or XLR adapter (either if your mic has a jack or XLR output) Like this one Female jack to female RCA And thats all.


Then you can plug everything together and use the mic of your choice on your Android phone.


(BTW some stock camcorder apps can't use external microphones, then just use this camcorder app: https://market.android.com/details?id=rubberbigpepper.lgCamera&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInJ1YmJlcmJpZ3BlcHBlci5sZ0NhbWVyYSJd )


I'm using this app ^^ with this set of wireless microphones My microphones


And i'm just waiting for the last adapter in the mail tomorrow..


So from tomorrow i can record with my galaxy nexus and record the sound via the wireless microphone on a distance up too 30 meters :D


And if i need to go around with the phone and the microphone, i will just plug in a wired microphone to the female jack and go around with the phone and microphone in my hand :)



I hope someone in the future can use this information which was very hard to find on the internet :) When i have some time later today or tomorrow, i will upload a couple pictures to illustrate my setup :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...