Wednesday, February 10, 2016

bootloader - fastboot not working on my Nexus 4


I'm trying to root my N4, and fastboot doesn't seem to work. Running it on linux, and the fastboot binary seems to run.


'Fastboot devices' produces info on my device, but 'fastboot oem unlock' just echoes '...' and hangs. I don't get the prompt on the phone about unlocking. It just hangs there until I restart the bootloader, at which point fastboot echoes "FAILED (command write failed (Cannot send after transport endpoint shutdown)"


Other fastboot commands don't seem to work either. 'fastboot reboot' echoes 'rebooting...' but then nothing happens.


I've tried this with and without usb debugging enabled. Any ideas?


I'm beginning to think the USB port(s) on my machine may be blown. This morning, the machine didn't recognize an iPod plugged in under Windows on either the front or back USB ports on my machine. I'm working on the phone under Linux, and /var/adm/messages shows stuff happening when I plug the device in. I'm guessing 'fastboot devices' doesn't acutally access the device - just looks at the device types detected by the OS when you plugged it in, no? Is it possible I can read from the usb port but can't write to it?


Well, it looks like it was my USB ports. I found an old laptop, booted it up to a Ubuntu live CD, and was able to root the phone from there. Sorry for all the drama. Odd that my USB ports died just at this moment, but come to think of it, they've been running slow recently - gPodder had been taking minutes to copy podcasts to my iPod. I guess it was a gradual fail.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...