Sunday, December 13, 2015

Why is custom recovery a prerequisite for flashing a custom ROM?


I have read in many guides that before flashing, we need to have a custom recovery like CWM installed. I am not able to understand why is this a prerequisite for flashing a custom ROM. Can I flash a ROM without custom recovery?



Answer



Stock recoveries usually check the update.zip file being flashed for a specific signature that is only known by device's manufacturer and/or carrier. You cannot therefore flash custom ROMs on stock recoveries, hence the need for a custom recovery which bypasses said check.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...