Saturday, December 26, 2015

samsung - How can I backup playlists or extract path+filename information from them (generated with builtin MP3-player)?


I like to extract playlist information (i.e. path and filenames) I've created on Android's builtin MP3-player, to copy it with the MP3 files to a bigger SDHC card. Playlist information is lost when doing this:



  • Removing the SDHC memory card (after turning off the device), and re-insert it later, causes the MP3-player to forget all files in the playlists which I have created. This is especially annoying if you want to replace the SDHC card by a bigger one and want to backup all files including playlists from the old one


Hence I am looking for a way to backup the playlists or at least their content (i.e. path filename etc).




More information:


The phone has a playlist folder, containing the Playlists, when I use a USB cable to connect it to the PC, I can see them (*.pla files) but they have 0 bytes and cannot be copied. Also, if I connect the SDHC card via cardreader, the files aren't useful.


Samsung Kies also did not work for me, it does not seem to support the playlists created on the phone.



I found this interesting question, which explains that Android stores playlists in SqlLite databases, but unfortunately, on my Samsung phone I could not find the database file (although there is a folder Computer\GT-I8190\Phone\Android\data\com.google.android.music which should contain it, but no databases subdirectory and no database files).


N.B.: The smarthphone is able to read and import *.m3u playlists (via the player's "Music Square" menu - context menu "Library update"), but cannot modify them (if you add titles, they will only be available in the smartphone, the *.m3u file isn't changed).




To summarize my question (one of the options below would help me):




  • Do you know how I can backup the playlists on the phone and then extract the file/path info contained in them in Windows?
    Phone Playlist -> Windows PC -> Extract Path/Filename to text file





  • Or do you know if there is a tool available (for Android, or for Windows reading it from the mobile phone) converting the playlists into a compatible text format (like .m3u playlists)?
    Phone Playlist -> M3U file

    (Note: The other way round it is possible, as this forum post explains). Here's an example of a M3U file, note that relative paths are allowed as well:


    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:123, Sample artist - Sample title
    /storage/extSdCard/Sounds/Sample.mp3






Your help is much appreciated!



Answer




It seems that Android built-in music player cannot export playlist. One of the solution I could think of is to use 3rd-party app to export it, such as Playlist Backup (free)




This application allows you to export your audio playlists (both System, Poweramp and Google Play Music playlists) to sdcard or Dropbox. You can keep as many backups as you want for each playlist. [...]


Export your Audio Playlists as M3U files on your SDCARD and keep them safe. [...]


Main Features:



  • Export system playlists to sdcard

  • Export Poweramp playlists to sdcard

  • Import M3U files to your system playlists


  • Delete duplicate entries from your playlists

  • Keep your Android Playlists in sync with Poweramp Playlists



The procedure is straightforward:



  1. Open the app

  2. Select the playlist type (System playlist, Poweramp playlist, or Play Music playlist)

  3. Tick the playlist you want to backup

  4. Tap Backup Selected to backup to SD card


  5. A dialog will appear to tell the status of the backup, and where they are stored


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...