Tuesday, June 9, 2015

How does Google Maps Navigation know you are in a tunnel when it switches to night mode?


I suppose this isn't exactly a new feature but it is new to me since I don't travel through tunnels very often. What exactly is the software using when it decides to switch over to night mode when in a tunnel? GPS Location? A light sensor? A combination of both?



Answer



Hard to say without knowing which device and firmware version we're talking about, so what follows is my speculation.


I have a Garmin Nuvi which continues navigating in a tunnel, turns and all, despite losing its satellite reception. Mine doesn't switch to night mode, but it clearly knows it is in a tunnel from the map data. Since loss of reception is a given in a tunnel, the device must be dead-reckoning while it's in there. (Re-broadcasting is out because it would affect the signal timing which is key to calculating a fix). In fact, I have tested this by entering a tunnel fast and decelerating once inside it. The device alerted that it had lost reception and continued to display my entry speed, "passing" turnouts and the tunnel exit before I did.


From that, I inferred that the firmware was using map information, possibly cross-checked with loss of satellite lock, to know when I've entered a tunnel.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...