Friday, June 12, 2015

Install default Android keyboard


It seems as the default keyboard is removed from several Android devices. I have two, a Sony Xperia (4.0.4) and a Samsung Galaxy SIII (4.0.4) and neither of them has the default Android keyboard (or I'm missing something).



Is there an official way of installing the default keyboard? (And why would hardware makers disable the default keyboard?)


This is related to my other question Switch to another keyboard language using stock keyboard



Answer



There's no official way of installing the default keyboard if it's not installed by the manufacturer.


However, there may be unofficial ways using files stripped from other devices or compiled from AOSP. There are some keyboards on Google play, see for example Keyboard from Android 2.3, which claims to be like the default keyboard from Android 2.3.


Another way of getting the default keyboard may be installing another ROM.


I think hardware makers would install their own keyboards if they think that they are superior to the default one, for example because they better work on the screen size of a device.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...