Sunday, June 28, 2015

root access - ES File Explorer shows empty /data/ folder


I'm looking for the whatsapp key file on my phone (which should be stored in /data/data/com.whatsapp/files/key).


Therefore I:



  1. Rooted the phone Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2)

  2. Checked the root status with Root Checker (it's rooted!)

  3. Downloaded ES File Explorer


  4. Opened /data/ folder in order to find the key file with ES File Explorer...


but the folder is empty!


Is that folder really empty or am I missing something?



Answer



ES File Explorer does not show /data on any of my rooted devices.


Not on my S5, not on my Note 2, or HTC One M7. I've heard other people easily using ES with root, but it never asks me for root permissions, just shows blank folders, like you.


I use jrummy's Root Browser on my S5, but any "root file explorer" will do.


ES File Explorer just doesn't cut it.


Hope this solves the problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...