Tuesday, June 23, 2015

navigation - GPS app to follow a prepared itinerary


I am preparing a 1-week bicycle trip. We can't use high-traffic roads, so I am preparing a quite complex route on small country roads, using Google Maps.


With my phone saddled on my bicycle, is there a GPS app that will "guide" me using the itinerary I crafted? Turn-by-turn would be ideal, but just writing the itinerary as a map overlay would be better than nothing.


Note: My phone is WiFi only so I will need an application that can cache a lot of maps, like AndNav2 or Maverick. Also, I am stuck with Android 1.5



Answer



Here is what I ended up doing, it works well:





  1. On your computer's Firefox, install the GMapToGPX bookmarklet.




  2. Prepare your itinerary with Google Maps Itinerary.




  3. While still on the Google Maps page, click on the GMapToGPX bookmarklet. It opens a GPX conversion dialog.





  4. Click on the blue tab buttons to make them read like this: "Route Track Points About". It will not work otherwise.




  5. Copy-paste the XML text in a new file, for instance myitinerary.gpx




  6. On Android, install Maverick.





  7. Copy your GPX file to /sdcard/maverick/tracks




  8. In Maverick, select the track file




  9. Scroll your way along the route at appropriate zoom levels to store the tiles in the cache.




The free version of Maverick allows 3 tracks files.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...