Wednesday, January 7, 2015

samsung galaxy s 2 - Out of memory errors on S2. Safe to delete all dumpstate files?


My Android S2 is out of memory and unable to update apps. Specifically it is currently using nearly all of the paltry 2gb partitioned for apps.


I'm reading that you can issue *#9900# in the dialer, and select menu 2, that this will clean the dumpstate files. I get Unable to process request.


My phone is rooted so when I go to terminal and ls -l on /data/log, I'm showing no .log files but several dumpstate.tar.gz files. Is it safe to nuke these tar.gz files?




Answer



Data in "log directories" should generally be safe to delete, as they are mainly intended for debugging purposes. The files having an .tar.gz extension simply means they are archived (see: tar (computing) at Wikipedia); if you copy them to your computer for investigation (e.g. using Winzip on a Windows machine, or the command-line tar xzf ) will probably show those files contain *.log files.


If you want to be on the safe side, make a backup first. But I very much doubt you'll ever need those files again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...